Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Post 10

What can we learn from Mrs. Cassidy?



Mrs. Cassidy has some great ways that she is incorporating technology in her classroom. In the video Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 1, she states all the different things that she has her students doing in her class. Mrs. Cassidy is using blogging in her classroom. It is fun for the students and it's a great way for the parents to be able to see how their child is progressing in her class. Another way, that I found pretty interesting, was the use of the Nintendo Ds. It helps the students learn how to share and it can be an educational device as well. She also takes advantage of using Skype with her class to let them interview people from all over the world. Mrs. Cassidy is using all these different forms of technology in her classroom to make the learning experience better for her students.

Once I become a teacher, I would first start with setting up a class blog because that interest me the most. In the Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 2, she says, "Start using technology in the classroom with what interest you the most." That's what I would be doing with the blogging. I’m also a really big fan of Skype. I would use that in my class as well. I never seen anyone use the Nintendo Ds in the classroom but I thought it was something different and unique to use. I would most likely use that system or I would find something similar to use. I would try to use as much as I could to help my students want to learn. There could be some challenges to face as far as keeping the students safe while using the technology, but I would make sure that I let my students know about the dangers of going to places that are not encouraged. I would also let them know as Mrs. Cassidy states, "Only use your first name when blogging."

There are many benefits to using technology in the classroom. The first benefit is one that we are taking advantage of right now in EDM310 which is Skyping. All these videos are provided by Dr. Strange skyping with other people from around the world. These teachers are teaching us things from miles away so that’s why I'm sure that my students will learn a whole lot by using this tool. Another benefit that comes from using these tools are that the students are getting the chance to learn and get familiar with the technology that they will need when they enter the work force. It’s teaching them lifelong skills. Also, the parents get to be involved with their child learning process from home. The students are getting the chance to work together and help each other grow by the comments that they leave on each other’s blog. There are so many great benefits to using technology in the classroom and that's what makes it worthwhile for the students and the teachers.

students in a technology based classroom

2 comments: