Sunday, September 14, 2014

Search Engines

ready set go words
1. Wolframalpha is a search engine that definitly have noticeable differences. When you search it allows you to put in numbers. It's like a calculator and search engine combined. Also, I'm not used to seeing charts when you answer is delivered. I noticed when I wanted to search for a picture it did not bring up more than one picture at a time and you need to be very specific as to what you are looking to find.

2.Bing has some useful points. I saw that bing has a lot of the information that you would find on other popular search engines. Bing also has a neat feature of being able to earn reward points for your searches. You do have to be a member to earn those points, but I thought it was an interesting program.

3. Infospace is not the most visually attractive site, but it gets the job done. I found several responses to the question that I put into the search bar. It does take the most popular responses and displays them first.

4. Ask has its own theme to it. It has a question and answer portion that most other sites don't have. You can even go to questions and answers in your community. It seems to give you factual information, but a lot of Ask deals with you finding out answers from other people.

5. Duckduckgo is site where you have to look around for the right answer. It don't seem to bring up the right answers as the top search. Another thing that I noticed is that this site don't bring up several different pages to search through. It's all on one page. It not a site that I could see myself using.

6. Blekko seems like a pretty good search engine. It brings up different categories when you search. Also I liked the side categories that it gives you on each topic that you search.

7. Yahoo is a good search engine in my opinion. I liked the fact everything can be done from the home page. Yahoo has a range of options versus some of the other sites that I have explored. It also has where you can ask others questions and get fast answers. I like the email feature with yahoo as well.

8. Zoo.com had some useful information. I liked the fact that you could type in one subject and then click on a tab to get different views of that same topic. The set up was visually attractive. It also gave the local weather and showed a list for the most common searches.

1 comment:

  1. Shira,
    I have never heard of or tried Zoo or Infospace I will have to try those out. Which one did you like the best? I had a few of the same search engines you did, and I personally liked DuckDuckGo the best. Also re-read your post for simple grammatical errors. (Has/Have Don't/Doesn't)

    ReplyDelete